Labels

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

From this article on non-conformists, fear same for Tulip :

Then there was my daughter, who was dressed in a demure skirt and blouse. A stranger would never have picked her out as a potential rebel; if anything, she has always been determined not to stand out.

My daughter, who, underneath her shy and somewhat diffident exterior, has always harbored the soul of an iconoclast. While I am volubly contrarian, she has always quietly done her own thing. The truth is, I am of mixed minds about having handed on the mantle of dissent to my daughter. I worry that her instinct to think for herself is as much a curse as a blessing — that she will, end up standing warily on the sidelines.

So although I admire my freethinking daughter, I also feel anxious on her account. My hope is that her idiosyncratic take on the world will lead her to unexpected places rather than to an embittered outlook. Here was a girl who eschewed getting smashed and hooking up.Far safer to bet that she’d get with the program in her own laggardly time and unlemminglike way.